Here are all the new camera features coming to the Pixel 7 TechCrunch
Pixel devices are loved for their punchy images and AI-powered photo features, and today we’re treated to a pair of new phones: the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro. Both phones have a 50-megapixel main sensor and a 12-megapixel ultrawide sensor. The Pixel 7 Pro has an additional 48-megapixel telephoto lens.
With these new flagship phones, Google is adding a bunch of photo and video features to the mix. Here’s a summary of all the new features included in the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro.
- The company said the new Tensor G2 cameras in the new Pixel phones reduce motion blur to speed up low-light photo capture. Google claims that this feature using ML-based denoising makes taking photos with Night Sight twice as fast as the previous version. It also merges images from the ultrawide and main camera to capture an unstable subject like a moving baby in great detail.
- Google Photos has also added a new feature called Photo Unblur which will only work with Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro.
- Google has included new accessibility features with the Pixel 7, including a new Guided Frame feature to help visually impaired users take photos. It will ask users to readjust the position of the phone to get the best photo.
- The search giant said it has teamed up with image experts around the world to accurately capture images of people with different skin tones – an evolution of its Real Tone feature launched alongside the Pixel 6 Last year. It has trained its camera features such as exposure and brightness with over 10,000 images over the past year to better capture darker skin tones in low light situations.
- There are plenty of improvements in video capture too: the new Pixel phones have cinematic blur to create a shallow depth of field effect, for example. The new devices also feature hardware and software video stabilization with better autofocus.
- Tensor G2 supports 10-bit HDR video recording. Google took inspiration from YouTube, Snap, and Tiktok to display these high-quality videos.
- The Pixel 7 series also comes with 4K HDR 60fps speech enhancement to record clear audio as part of video capture.
- Google’s new flagship devices have also redesigned Super Res Zoom. This is a digital zoom feature that improves on the 2x zoom of the 50-megapixel original. This lowers the resolution, which reduces the flexibility of what you can do with the photos later, but in a world where the vast majority of photos end up on Instagram or screens, the resulting 12mpx image is plenty.
- Additionally, the Pixel 7 Pro has a dedicated telephoto lens with 5x optical zoom. If you want to zoom between 2x and 5x, the cameras stack the photos from the main sensor and the telephoto lens to capture a high quality image.
- Using pinch-to-zoom, users can take 12-megapixel photos with 10x zoom, which Google says is as good as a dedicated telephoto lens thanks to Super Res Zoom.
- The company has also introduced Zoom Stabilization to counteract hand shake while taking a photo at a zoom level of 15x or more. When using 20x zoom or higher, Pixel 7 converts an image using machine learning. The highest zoom level for these phones is 30x.
- The Pixel 7 Pro’s macro mode can take up-close (1 inch / 3 cm) photos of objects in HDR+ quality using the device’s new ultra-wide lens.